Dr Yalin Zheng
Reader in Ophthalmic Imaging
Department of Eye and Vision Science
University of Liverpool
I joined the University of Liverpool as a Lecturer in January 2008 and now am Reader in Ophthalmic Imaging at the Department of Eye and Vision Science, University of Liverpool. I also has an honorary contract with the St Paul’s Eye Unit of the Royal Liverpool University Hospital for clinical research. I received my BEng and MEng in 1994 and 1997 respectively. I received my PhD in Image Processing and Computer Vision from the School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton in 2003. Since then I have been working at the forefront of medical imaging technologies across a diverse spectrum of research and commercially oriented projects in both academia and industry. From November 2002 to June 2004, I was a research fellow with the Division of Imaging Science, King’s College London. From July 2004 to January 2008 I was with Medicsight PLC, as an industrial researcher.
I founded and lead The Centre for Research in Image Analysis (CRiA). CRiA is a research centre specialised in the research and development of image processing and analysis techniques combining pure and applied mathematics, computer science, statistics, electrical engineering and clinical research. Please also follow us on twitter @LivCRiA.
Room 275, 2nd Floor, William Henry Duncan Building
Department of Eye and Vision Science
University of Liverpool
6 West Derby Street
Liverpool L7 8TX, UK
Tel: +44 (0)151 794 9055
My research expertise is in machine learning, computer vision, image processing and medical imaging analysis. My current research is primarily focused on the development of (i) fundamental machine learning and image processing theory and algorithm; (ii) intelligent image analysis solutions for healthcare and other industry applications, and (iii) novel optical imaging device.
Have published over 110 full-length refereed journal and conference papers including top journals in Engineering and Medicine.
My Google Scholar page: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=nKCHXTAAAAAJ&hl=en
• Hijazi MHA, Coenen F, Zheng Y. Image mining approach for the screening of age-related macular degeneration. In: Wahler C, Wilkinson L, editors. Retinopathy: New research. Hauppauge, N.Y.: Nova Sci Publishers, Inc.; 2012.
• Williams BM, Burgess PI, Zheng Y. Drusen and macular degeneration. In Computational Retinal image analysis: Tools, applications and perspectives. The Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention Society (MICCAI). in press.
1. MacCormick IJC, Williams BM, Zheng Y, Li K, Al-Bander B, Czanner S, Cheeseman R, Willoughby CE, Brown EN, Spaeth GL, Czanner G. Accurate, fast, data efficient and interpretable glaucoma diagnosis with automated spatial analysis of the whole cup to disc profile. Plos One. 2019;14(1): e0209409. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209409
2. Lourenco EAJ, Shaw L, Pratt H, Duffy GL, Czanner G, Zheng Y, Hamill KJ, McCormick AG. Application of SPF moisturisers is inferior to sunscreens in coverage of facial and eyelid regions. Plos One. Accepted.
3. Al-Bander, B., B. M. Williams, W. Al-Nuaimy, M. A. Al-Taee, H. Pratt and Y. Zheng. Dense fully convolutional segmentation of the optic disc and cup in colour fundus for glaucoma diagnosis. Symmetry. 2018;10:87. 16 pages
4. Barrera, V., I. J. C. MacCormick, G. Czanner, P. S. Hiscott, V. A. White, A. G. Craig, N. A. V. Beare, L. H. Culshaw, Y. Zheng, S. C. Biddolph, D. A. Milner, S. Kamiza, M. E. Molyneux, T. E. Taylor and S. P. Harding. Neurovascular sequestration in paediatric P.falciparum malaria is visible clinically in the retina. eLife. 2018;7:e32208. 28 pages
5. Brunner, M., V. Romano, B. Steger, R. Vinciguerra, S. Lawman, B. Williams, N. Hicks, G. Czanner, Y. Zheng, C. E. Willoughby and S. B. Kaye. Imaging of corneal neovascularization: optical coherence tomography angiography and fluorescence angiography. Inv Ophth Vis Sci. 2018;59:1263–9. 7 pages
6. Zhao, Y., Y. Zheng, Y. Liu, Y. Zhao, L. Luo, S. Yang, T. Na, Y. Wang and J. Liu. Automatic 2D/3D vessel enhancement in multiple modality images using a weighted symmetry filter. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2018;37(2):438-50. 13 pages
7. Pratt, H., B. Williams, J. Ku, C. Vas, E. McCann, B. Al-Bander, Y. Zhao, F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Automatic detection and distinction of retinal vessel bifurcations and crossings in colour fundus photography. Journal of Imaging. 2018;4(1):1-14. 14 pages
8. Al-Bander, B., W. Al-Nuaimy, B. M. Williams and Y. Zheng. Multiscale sequential convolutional neural networks for simultaneous detection of fovea and optic disc. Biomed Signal Process Control. 2018;40:91-101. 11 pages
9. Brunner, M., B. Steger, V. Romano, M. Hodson, Y. Zheng, H. Heimann and S. B. Kaye. Identification of feeder vessels in ocular surface neoplasia using indocyanine green angiography. Curr Eye Res. 2018;43(2):163-9. 7 pages
10. Lawman, S., P. W. Madden, V. Romano, Y. Dong, S. Mason, B. M. Williams, S. B. Kaye, C. E. Willoughby, S. P. Harding, Y.-C. Shen and Y. Zheng. Deformation velocity imaging using optical coherence tomography and its applications to the cornea. Biomed Opt Express. 2017;8(12):5579–93. 15 pages
11. Romano, V., B. Steger, M. Brunner, A. Kaye, Y. Zheng, C. E. Willoughby and S. B. Kaye. Detecting change in conjunctival hyperemia using a pixel densitometry index. Ocul. Immunol. Inflamm. 2017:1-6 6 pages
12. Gao, Z., W. Bu, X. Wu and Y. Zheng. Intra-retinal layer segmentation of macular OCT images using edge superpixels and manifold ranking method. Intl J Future Gen Comm Network. 2017;10(6):81-97. 17 pages
13. 11. Pratt, H., K. Hassanin, L. D. Troughton, G. Czanner, Y. Zheng, A. G. McCormick and K. J. Hamill. UV imaging reveals facial areas that are prone to skin cancer are disproportionately missed during sunscreen application. PLoS ONE. 2017;12(10):e0185297. 14 pages † featured in ITV news
14. MacCormick, I. J. C., Y. Zheng, S. Czanner, Y. Zhao, P. J. Diggle, S. P. Harding and G. Czanner. Spatial statistical modelling of capillary non-perfusion in the retina. Nature Sci Rpt. 2017;7(1):16792. 9 pages
15. Zhang, J., B. M. Williams, S. Lawman, D. Atkinson, Z. Zhang, Y. Shen and Y. Zheng. Non-destructive analysis of flake properties in automotive paints with full-field optical coherence tomography and 3D segmentation. Opt Express. 2017;25(16):18614-28. 15 pages † OCT news
16. Lawman, S., B. Williams, J. Zhang, Y.-C. Shen and Y. Zheng. Scan-less line field optical coherence tomography, with automatic image segmentation, as a measurement tool for automotive coatings. Appl Sci. 2017;7(4):351. 13 pages
17. Lin, H., Y. Dong, D. Markl, B. M. Williams, Y. Zheng, Y. Shen and J. A. Zeitler. Measurement of the inter-tablet coating uniformity of a pharmaceutical pan coating process with combined terahertz and optical coherence tomography in-line sensing. J Pharm Sci. 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.xphs.2016.12.012. 24 pages
18. Williams, B. M., J. A. Spencer, K. Chen, Y. Zheng and S. Harding. An effective variational model for simultaneous reconstruction and segmentation of blurred images. J Alg Comp Tech. 2016. 10.1177/1748301816660406. 21 pages
19. Zhao, Y., Y. Zheng, Y. Liu, J. Yang, Y. Zhao, D. Chen and Y. Wang. Intensity and compactness enabled saliency estimation for leakage detection. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2017;36(1):51-63. 13 pages
20. Zhao, Y., P. Su, J. Yang, Y. Zhao, Y. Zheng and Y. Wang. A compactness based saliency approach for leakages detection in fluorescein angiogram. Int J Mach Learn Cyber. 2016. 10.1007/s13042-016-0573-4. 9 pages
21. Zhao, Y., J. Zhao, J. Yang, Y. Liu, Y. Zhao, Y. Zheng, L. Xia and Y. Wang. Saliency driven vasculature segmentation with infinite perimeter active contour model. Neurocomputing. 2017;259:201-9. 9 pages
22. Albarrak, A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Volumetric image classification using homogeneous decomposition and dictionary learning: a study using retinal optical coherence tomography for detecting age-related macular degeneration. Comput Med Imag Grap. 2017;55:113-123. 11 pages
23. Gao, Z., W. Bu, Y. Zheng and X. Wu. Automated layer segmentation of macular OCT images via graph-based SLIC superpixels and manifold ranking approach. Comput Med Imag Grap. 2017;55:42-53. 12 pages
24. Lawman, S., Y. Dong, B. M. Williams, V. Romano, S. Kaye, S. P. Harding, C. Willoughby, Y.-C. Shen and Y. Zheng. High resolution corneal and single pulse imaging with line field spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Opt Express. 2016;24(11):12395-405. 11 pages
25. Dong, Y., S. Lawman, Y. Zheng, D. Williams, J. Zhang and Y.-C. Shen. Non-destructive analysis of automotive paints with spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Appl Optics. 2016;55(13):3695-700. 6 pages
26. Williams, D., Y. Zheng, P. G. Davey, F. Bao, M. Shen and A. Elsheikh. Reconstruction of 3D surface maps from anterior segment optical coherence tomography images using graph theory and genetic algorithms. Biomed. Signal Process. Control. 2016;25:91-8. 8 pages
27. Romano, V., B. Steger, Y. Zheng, S. Ahmad, C. E. Willoughby and S. Kaye. Angiographic and in vivo confocal microscopic characterization of human corneal blood and presumed lymphatic neovascularization: a pilot study. Cornea. 2015;34:1459-65. 7 pages
28. Zhao Y, MacCormick IJC, Parry DG, Beare NAV, Harding SP, Zheng Y. Automated detection of vessel abnormalities on fluorescein angiogram in malarial retinopathy. Nature Sci Rep. 2015;5:11154.1-14. 14 pages
29. Zhao, Y., I. J. C. MacCormick, D. G. Parry, S. Leach, N. A. V. Beare, S. P. Harding and Y. Zheng. Leakage detection in fluorescein angiography of the retina based on saliency. Nature Sci Rep. 2015;5:10425.1-15. 15 pages
30. Zhao, Y., L. Rada, K. Chen, S. Harding and Y. Zheng. Automated vessel segmentation using infinite perimeter active contour model with hybrid region information. IEEE Trans Med Imging. 2015;34(9):1797-807. 11 pages
31. Spiteri, N., V. Romano, Y. Zheng, S. Yadav, R. Dwivedi, J. Chen, S. Ahmad, C. Willoughby and S. B. Kaye. Corneal angiography for guiding and evaluating fine needle diathermy treatment of corneal neovascularization. Ophthalmology. 2015;(122):1079-84. 6 pages
32. Zhao, Y., Y. Liu, X. Wu, S. P. Harding and Y. Zheng. Retinal vessel segmentation: An efficient graph cut approach with Retinex and local phase. PLOS One. 2015;(10):e0122332. 22 pages
33. Chen, K., Y. Zheng, B. M. Williams and S. P. Harding. A new study of blind deconvolution with implicit incorporation of non-negativity constraints. Intl J Comp Math. 2015;(2015):1-17. 17 pages
34. Zheng, Y., M. T. Kwong, I. J. C. MacCormick, N. A. V. Beare and S. P. Harding. A comprehensive texture segmentation framework and its application to segmentation of capillary non-perfusion regions in fundus fluorescein angiograms. Plos One. 2014;9: e93624. 11 pages
35. Williams, D., Y. Zheng, F. Bao and A. Elsheikh. Fast segmentation of anterior segment optical coherence tomography images using graph cut. Eye and Vision Science. 2015;2(1):1-6. 6 pages
36. Sueke, H., S. Kaye, M. C. Wilkinson, S. Kennedy, V. Kearns, Y. Zheng, P. Roberts, S. Tuft and T. Neal. Pharmacokinetics of meropenem for use in bacterial keratitis. Inv Ophth Vis Sci. 2015;56(10):5731-8. 8 pages
37. Boonarpha, N., Y. Zheng, A. N. Stangos, H. Lu, A. Raj, G. Czanner, S. P. Harding and J. Sahni. Standardization of choroidal thickness measurements using enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography. Intl J Ophthalmology. 2015;8:484-91. 7 pages
38. Zheng, Y., L. Currie, N. Pollock, A. Heath, C. Sheridan, A. Choudhary, S. O'Reilly and I. Grierson. Measurement and computer modelling of temporary arrangements of polygonal actin structures (TAPAs) in trabecular meshwork cells which consist of cross-linked actin networks (CLANs) and polygonal actin arrangements (PAAs). J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2014;30(2-3):224-36. 13 pages
39. Hijazi, M. H. A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Data mining for AMD screening: A classification based approach. Intl J Simulation Sys Sci Tech. 2014;15(1):57-69. 13 pages
40. Zheng, Y., A. E. Kaye, A. Boker, R. K. Stewart, A. Tey, S. Ahmad, C. E. Willoughby, A. J. Bron and S. B. Kaye. Marginal corneal vascular arcades. Inv Ophth Vis Sci 2013(54):7470-7. 8 pages
41. Williams, D., Y. Zheng, F. Bao and A. Elsheikh. Automatic segmentation of anterior segment OCT images. J Biomed Opt. 2013(18):056003-056001-056007. 8 pages
42. Zheng, Y. and K. Chen. A unifying model for multiphase texture segmentation and its applications to retinal image analysis. Biomed Signal Process Control. 2013(8):374-381. 8 pages
43. Zheng, Y., J. Sahni, C. Campa, A. N. Stangos, A. Raj and S. P. Harding. Computerized assessment of intraretinal and subretinal fluid spaces in spectral-domain OCT images of the retina. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013(155):277-86.e1. 12 pages
44. Bu, W., X. Wu, X. Chen, B. Dai and Y. Zheng. Hierarchical detection of hard exudates in color retinal images. Journal of Software. 2013(8):2723-32. 10 pages
45. Yan, Z., Y. Zhao, S. Hou, H. Zhang and Y. Zheng. Obstacle avoidance for unmanned undersea vehicle in unknown unstructured environment. Math Probl Eng. 2013(2013):1-12. 12 pages
46. Anijeet, D. R., A. Tey, Yalin Zheng, H. Sueke, S. Ahmed and S. B. Kaye. Evaluation of corneal vessels. European Ophthalmic Review. 2013;7:70-3. 4 pages
47. Yan, Z., D. Chi, S. Hou and Y. Zheng. Underwater environment SDAP method using multi single-beam sonars. Math Probl Eng. 2013(2013):1-17. 17 pages
48. Zheng, Y., M. H. A. Hijazi and F. Coenen. Automated "disease / no disease" grading of age-related macular degeneration by an image mining approach. Inv Ophth Vis Sci. 2012(53):8310-8. 9 pages
49. Zheng Y and Chen K. A hierarchical algorithm for multiphase texture image segmentation. ISRN Signal Processing. 2012(2012):1-11. 11 pages
50. Kirwan, R. P., Y. Zheng, A. Tey, A. Anijeet, H. Sueke and K. S.B. Quantifying changes in corneal neovascularization using fluorescein and indocyanine green angiography. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012(154):850-858.e2. 9 pages
51. Anijeet, D., Y. Zheng, M. Hodson, A. Tey and S. Kaye. Imaging and evaluation of corneal vascularisation using fluorescein and indocyanine green angiography. Inv Ophth Vis Sci. 2012(53):650-8. 9 pages
52. Hijazi, M. H. A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Classification of retinal images using spatial-histograms and case based reasoning. Knowledge-Based Systems. 2012(29): 83-92. 10 pages
53. Zheng, Y., J. S. Gandhi, A. N. Stangos, C. Campa, D. M. Broadbent and S. P. Harding. Automated segmentation of foveal avascular zone in fundus fluorescein angiography. Inv Ophth Vis Sci. 2010(51):3653-9. 7 pages
54. Zheng, Y., M. S. Nixon and R. Allen. Automatic segmentation of lumbar vertebrae in digital videofluoroscopic images. IEEE Trans Med Imging. 2004(23):45-52. 8 pages
55. Zheng, Y., M. S. Nixon and R. Allen. Lumbar spine visualisation based on kinematic analysis from videofluoroscopic imaging. Med Eng Phys. 2003(25):171-9. 9 pages
56. Chen X, Williams B, Vallabhaneni S, Czanner G, Williams R, Zheng Y. Learning active contour models for medical image segmentation. Accepted by CVPR 2019 (acceptance rate 25.2%)
57. Zhao Y et al. Topology reconstruction of tree-like structure in images via structural similarity measure and dominant set clustering. Accepted by CVPR 2019 (acceptance rate 25.2%)
58. Zhao, Y., J. Xie, P. Su, Y. Zheng, Y. Liu, J. Cheng and J. Liu. Retinal artery and vein classification via dominant sets clustering based vascular topology estimation. Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention – MICCAI 2018; September 16-20 2018; Granada, Spain: Springer International Publishing 2018.
59. Xu, Y., B. M. Williams, B. Al-Bander, Z. Yan, Y.-C. Shen and Y. Zheng. Improving the resolution of retinal OCT with deep learning. Medical Image Understanding and Analysis (MIUA) 2018; July 9-11 2018; Southampton, UK: Springer 2018.
60. Zhao, Y., Y. Zheng, Y. Zhao, Y. Liu, Z. Chen, P. Liu and J. Liu. Uniqueness-driven saliency analysis for automated lesion detection with applications to retinal diseases. Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention – MICCAI 2018; September 16-20 2018; Granada, Spain: Springer International Publishing 2018
61. Xie, J., Y. Zhao, Y. Zheng, J. Liu and Y. Wang. Retinal vascular topology estimation via dominant sets clustering. IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI'18); April 4-7, 2018; Omni Shoreham Hotel Washington DC, USA: IEEE 2018.
62. Pratt, H., B. Williams, F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. FCNN: Fourier convolutional neural networks. The European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery (ECML-PKDD); September 18–22, 2017; Skopje, Macedonia: Springer 2017.
63. Lawman, S., V. Romano, P. Madden, S. Mason, B. M. Williams, Y. Zheng and Y.-C. Shen. Supercontinuum ultra-high resolution line-field OCT with experimental spectrograph comparison, experimental comparison with current clinical OCT system for the imaging of a human cornea and application to pharmaceutical pellets. The 2nd Canterbury Conference on OCT with emphasis on broadband optical sources; September 6-8, 2017; Canterbury, Kent: 2017.
64. Williams, B. M., B. Al-Bander, H. Pratt, S. Lawman, Y. Zhao, Y. Zheng and Y. Shen. Fast blur detection and parametric deconvolution of retinal fundus images. MICCAI - Ophthalmic Medical Image Analysis 4; 10-14 September 2017; Quebec, CA: Springer International Publishing 2017.
65. Pratt, H., B. M. Williams, J. Ku, F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Automatic Detection and Identification of Retinal Vessel Junctions in Colour Fundus Photography. In: Valdés Hernández M, González-Castro V, editors. Medical Image Understanding and Analysis: 21st Annual Conference, MIUA 2017, Edinburgh, UK, July 11–13, 2017, Proceedings. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2017. p. 27-37.
66. Luo, L., Y. Zhao, J. Yang, Y. Zheng, S. Yang, D. Ai and Y. Wang. Cerebral vascular enhancement using a weighted 3D symmetry filter. IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging; April 18-21 2017; Melbourne, Australia: IEEE 2017.
67. Hassanin, K., H. Pratt, Y. Zheng, G. Czanner, K. Hamill and A. McCormick. Ultraviolet imaging reveals that areas on the face that are prone to skin cancer are disproportionately missed during sunscreen application. Br J Dermatol. 2017;177:13-4.
68. Gao, Z., W. Bu, X. Wu and Y. Zheng. Intra-retinal layers segmentation of macular OCT images based on the graph optimal approach. 2016 9th International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, BioMedical Engineering and Informatics (CISP-BMEI); Oct 15-17 2016; Harbin, China: 2016.
69. Gao, Z., W. Bu, X. Wu and Y. Zheng. Thickness measurements of ten intra-retinal layers from optical coherent tomography images using a super-pixels and manifold ranking approach. 2016 9th International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, BioMedical Engineering and Informatics (CISP-BMEI); Oct 15-17 2016; Harbin, China: 2016.
70. Czanner, G., Y. Zheng, I. MacCormick, S. P. Harding and P. Diggle. Spatial mixed-effect modelling for novel imaging biomarkers of malaria retinopathy from a clinical observational study, 37th Annual Conference of the International Society for Clinical Biostatistics (ISCB), Birmingham, August 2016
71. Yang, Y., W. Bu, K. Wang, Y. Zheng and X. Wu. Automated artery-vein classification in fundus color images, Social Computing: Second International Conference of Young Computer Scientists, Engineers and Educators, ICYCSEE 2016, Harbin, China, August 20-22, 2016, Proceedings, Part I, 2016
72. Al-Bander, B, W. Al-Nuaimy, M. Al-Taee, B. William and Y. Zheng. Diabetic macular edema grading based on deep neural networks. 3rd MICCAI Workshop on Ophthalmic Medical Image Analysis (MW-OMIA3) Part of the 19th International Conference on Medical Image Analysis Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI) 2016, Athens, Greece.
73. Al-Bander, B., W. Al-Nuaimy, M. A. Al-Taee, A. Al-Ataby and Y. Zheng. Automatic feature learning method for detection of retinal landmarks, the Ninth International Conference on Developments in e-Systems Engineering (DeSE2016).
74. Pratt, H., F. Coenen, D.M. Broadbent, S. P. Harding and Y. Zheng. Convolutional Neural Networks for Diabetic Retinopathy. Medical Image Understanding and Analysis (MIUA'16); July 6–8 2016; Loughborough University, 2016. *Best Poster award
75. Zhao, Y., J. Yang, Y. Zheng and Y. Wang. Leakage detection on diabetic retinopathy by using saliency. International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI'16); April 13 - 16; Clarion Congress Hotel: IEEE; 2016.
76. Zhang, J., Y. Shen and Y. Zheng. The application of full-field optical coherence tomography on evaluating film coating of pharmaceutical pellets. The 15th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology. October 26-28 2015, Liverpool, UK.
77. Williams, B. M., Y. Zheng, K. Chen and S. P. Harding. A new method of blind deconvolution for colour fundus retinal images. 2nd MICCAI Workshop on Ophthalmic Medical Image Analysis (MW-OMIA2) Part of the 18th International Conference on Medical Image Analysis Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI) 2015. October 9 2015, Munich, Germany.
78. Albarrak, A., F. Coenen F and Y. Zheng. Dictionary learning-based volumetric image classification for the diagnosis of age-related macular degeneration. In: Perner P, editor. Machine Learning and Data Mining in Pattern Recognition. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 8556. St. Petersburg, Russia: Springer International Publishing; 2014. p. 272-84.
79. Williams, D., Y. Zheng and A. Elsheikh. A 3D segmentation framework for cornea segmentation in anterior segment OCT images using level set technique with shape prior. MIUA2013. 2013.
80. Albarrak, A., F. Coenen F and Y. Zheng. Age-related macular degeneration identification in volumetric optical coherence tomography using decomposition and local feature extraction. MIUA2013. 2013.
81. Albarrak, A., F. Coenen F and Y. Zheng. Classification of volumetric retinal images using overlapping decomposition and tree analysis. IEEE CBMS2013; June 20-22 2013; Porto, Portugal: IEEE; 2013.
82. Hijazi, M. H. A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Age-related macular degeneration screening using data mining approaches. 1st International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation (AIMS13); 3-5 December 2013; Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (Malaysia): IEEE; 2013.
83. Dai, B, W. Bu, X. Wu and Y. Zheng. Retinal blood vessel detection using multiscale line filter and phase congruency. In: Arabnia HR, Deligiannidis L, Lu J, Tinetti FG, You J, editors. Int'l Conf IP, Comp Vision, and Pattern Recognition (IPCV'13); Las Vegas, USA: Jul 22-25, 2013; 2013. p. 235-41.
84. Lu, H., N. Boonarpha, M. T. Kwong and Y. Zheng. Automated segmentation of the choroid in retinal optical coherence tomography images. IEEE EMBC2013; July 3-7, 2013; Osaka, Japan: IEEE; 2013.
85. Albarrak, A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Identifying age-related macular degeneration in volumetric retinal images. Ophthalmic Imaging Analysis Workshop. 2011:53-8.
86. Williams, B., K. Chen and Y. Zheng and S. Harding. Advanced blur removal methods with applications to retinal imaging for ophthalmology. MIUA2012. 2012.
87. Williams, D., Y. Zheng and A. Elsheikh. Automatic segmentation of anterior segment optical coherence tomography images. MEDSIP2012. 2012.
88. Albarrak, A., F. Coenen, Y. Zheng and W. Yu. Volumetric image mining based on decomposition and graph analysis: an application to retinal optical coherence tomography. The 13th IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Informatics (CINTI 2012); November 20-22, 2012; Budapest, Hungary. 2012.
89. Williams, B., K. Chen, Y. Zheng and S. Harding. A Blind Deconvolution Model for Images Corrupted by Gaussian Blur. EGH2012 (Essex-Greenwich-Hertfordshire Workshop on Applied and Numerical Mathematics). 2012.
90. Elsayed, A., M. Hijazi, F. Coenen, M. Garcia-Finana, V. Sluming and Y. Zheng. Time series case based reasoning for image categorisation. The 19th International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ICCBR2011); London, UK. 2011.
91. Hijazi, M., C. Jiang, F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Image classification for age-related macular degeneration screening using hierarchical image decompositions and graph mining. In: Gunopulos D, Hofmann T, Malerba D, Vazirgiannis M, editors. Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery in Databases. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 6912. Berlin / Heidelberg: Springer; 2011. p. 65-80.
92. García, M., Y. Zheng, M. I. López, T. Criddle, S. Harding and R. Hernero. Detection of the fovea in colour fundus images based on search area localisation and local feature extraction. Ophthalmic Imaging Analysis Workshop. 2011.
93. Zheng Y., Kwong M, Raj A, MacCormick IJC, Beare NAV, Harding SP. Segmentation of capillary non-perfusion regions in fundus fluorescein angiogram. Ophthalmic Imaging Analysis Workshop. 2011.
94. Williams, B., K. Chen, Y. Zheng and S. Harding. Mathematical methods and algorithms for restoring retinal images with blur and blind blur. Ophthalmic Imaging Analysis Workshop. 2011.
95. Hijazi, M. H. A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Image classification using histograms and time series analysis: A study of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) screening in retina image data. Proc ibia Industrial Conf on Data Mining: Springer, LNAI; 2010.
96. Hijazi, M. H. A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Retinal image classification using a histogram based approach. International Joint Conference on Neural Networks: IEEE; 2010.
97. Hijazi, M. H. A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. Retinal image classification for the screening of age-related macular degeneration. SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence; 14-16 December 2010; Cambridge, UK, 2010.
98. Elsayed, A., M. H. A. Hijazi, F. Coenen, M. Garcia-Finana, V. Sluming and Y. Zheng. Image categorisation using time series case based reasoning. UKCBR2010; 2010.
99. Hijazi, M. H. A., F. Coenen and Y. Zheng. A histogram approach for the screening of age-related macular degeneration. MIUA2009; 14th-15th July 2009; Kingston, UK; 2009. p. 154-8.
100. Zheng, Y., X. Yang, M. Siddique and G. Beddoe. Simultaneous feature selection and classification based on genetic algorithms: An application to colonic polyp detection. SPIE Medical Imaging; 16-21 February, 2008; San Diego, USA: SPIE: 2008.
101. Yang, X, Y. Zheng, M. Siddique and G. Beddoe. Learning from imbalanced data: a comparative study for colon CAD. SPIE Medical Imaging; 16-21 February, 2008; San Diego, USA: SPIE: 2008.
102. Siddique, M., Y. Zheng, X. Yang, M. Siddique and G. Beddoe. Reduction of false positives by extracting fuzzy rules from data for polyp detection in CTC scans. SPIE Medical Imaging; 16-21 February, 2008; San Diego, USA: SPIE; 2008.
103. Zheng, Y., X. Yang and G. Beddoe. Reduction of false positives in polyp detection using weighted support vector machines. IEEE EMBC; August 23-26, 2007; Lyon, France: IEEE; 2007.
104. Zheng, Y., X. Yang, X. Ye and X. Lin. Fully automatic segmentation of liver from multiphase liver CT. SPIE Medical Imaging; 14-19 February 2007; San Diego, USA2007.
105. Zheng, Y., C. Tanner, D. L. G. Hill, D. J. Hawkes, M. J. White, M. Khazen and M. O. Leach. Alignment of dynamic contrast enhanced MR volumes of the breast for a multicenter trial: An exemplar grid application. SPIE Medical Imaging; 14-19 February, 2004; San Diego, USA2004.
106. Zheng, Y., C. Tanner, D. L. G. Hill and D. J. Hawkes. Designing Grid-enabled image registration services for MIAKT. UK e-Science All Hands Meeting; 31st August - 3rd September, 2004; Nottingham, UK; 2004.
107. Heckemann, R. A., T. Hartkens, K. K. Leung, Y. Zheng, D. L. G. Hill, J. V. Hajnal and D. Rueckert. Information extraction from medical images: Developing an e-Science application based on the Globus toolkit. UK e-Science All Hands Meeting; 2-4 September, 2003; Nottingham, UK2003.
108. Zheng, Y., R. Allen and M. S. Nixon. Lumbar spine motion analysis via automatic segmentation. the 4th World Congress of Biomechanics; August 4-9th, 2002; Calgary, Canada2002.
109. Zheng, Y., M. S. Nixon and R. Allen. Automatic lumbar vertebrae registration using the Hough transform in digital videofluoroscopy. The 7th Annual Scientific Conference of the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM); July-September 2001; Belfast, UK; 2001. p. 172-3.
110. Zheng, Y., M. S. Nixon and R. Allen. Automatic lumbar vertebrae segmentation in fluoroscopic images via optimised concurrent Hough transform. IEEE EMBC; 25-28 October, 2001; Istanbul, Turkey: IEEE; 2001.
111. Allen, R., Y. Zheng and M. S. Nixon. Measurement of the kinematics of the lumbar spine in vivo. International Conference on Biomechanics combined with Annual Scientific Meeting of Taiwanese Society of Biomechanics; 2001. p. 25.
112. Zheng, Y., M. S. Nixon and R. Allen. Lumbar spine location in fluoroscopic images by evidence gathering. Medical Image Understanding and Analysis (MIUA2000); 2000; London, UK; 2000. p. 45-8.
113. Zheng, Y., M. S. Nixon and R. Allen. Finding lumbar vertebrae by evidence gathering. The 6th Annual Scientific Conference of the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM2000); 2000; Southampton, UK; 2000. p. 95-6.
My main cross-faculty collaborators within the University are
· Prof Yaochun Shen at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics on the development of new optical coherence tomography device.
· Prof Frans Coenen at the Department of Computer Science on image mining and its applications.
· Dr Waleed Al-Nuaimy at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics on automated fundus photography analysis.
· Prof Ke Chen at the Department of Mathematical Sciences on novel PDE-based image processing algorithms.
Team’s celebration: Merry Christmas Dec 2018
Celebration of Bryan’s successful ICURe camp! Nov 2018
Huge congratulations to Dr Baidaa Al-bander for passing her VIVA at @livuniAgeing on 29 May 2018!!!
Liverpool's first 11 at #EASDec 2018. @LivOphth @livuniAgeing, 25 May 2018
My student Dr Nattapon Boonarpha (5th from left) celebrates graduation with other graduates of the IACD in July 2016
Photo with other keynote speakers and conference chairs of ICBISP’16 in November 2015 in Beijing China
Photograph of the Ocular Biomechanics Group that I am working with. Taken on 24 October 2012
My first PhD student Hanafi Hijazi (centre), and supervisors Frans Coenen (left) and Yalin Zheng (right), after a successful defence of his thesis (11 July 2012)
Some delegates after the 2nd International Workshop on Image Processing Techniques and Applications at the CMIT, University of Liverpool, Liverpool (23 June 2011)
Last updated 25/02/2019