Lecture 11 - "Gut fluid balance - Intestinal Secretion & Absorption"
Objective: - To develop an understanding of:
- secretion and absorption of water along the GI tract
- role of the small and large bowel in maintaining fluid balance
- factors which influence absorption and secretion in the intestine to maintain overall daily gut fluid balance
- the molecular and cellular mechanisms of enterocyte membrane transport of water and electrolytes
- factors leading to malabsorption of water and electrolytes resulting in diarrhoea (excessive loss of water in the faeces)
- why ingestion of glucose-electrolyte solution (Oral rehydration therapy) has proven to be such an effective therapeutic means of reducing fluid loss in patients with diarrhoea (e.g. Cholera)