Plenary on "Gut secretion and absorption"
Professor Barry Campbell
Objective: - To develop an understanding of:
- the anatomy of the intestinal tract and its role in absorption and secretion
- factors which influence absorption and secretion in the intestine to maintain overall daily gut fluid balance
- the molecular and cellular mechanisms of enterocyte membrane transport of water and electrolytes
- factors leading to malabsorption of water and electrolytes resulting in diarrhoea (excessive loss of water in the faeces)
- why ingestion of glucose-electrolyte solution has proven to be such an effective therapeutic means of reducing fluid loss in patients with diarrhoea