Lecture 1: "An Overview of Digestion"
Objective: - To develop an understanding of:
- the the main regions of the gastrointestinal tract and the associated secretory organs
- involuntary and voluntary muscle - context of the GIT motility (e.g. swallowing, peristalsis, defecation)
- physiological control mechanisms - endocrine, paracrine and neural (extrinsic and intrinsic)
- motility patterns in fasted and fed states
- motility patterns in the small and large intestine (segmentation, peristalsis, mass movements).
- how we remove indigestible matter (defecation and external anal sphincter control)
- GI function versus dysfunction (using clinical examples)
Lecture handout (PDF)
Powerpoint presentation (PDF)