Geological Research Grants
- University of Liverpool RDF - £5000 for "Rock textures and earth processes: studies using the SEM as a crystallographic tool" with Wheeler, J., Prior, D, Atherton, M.P., Marshall, J.D., Reddy, S Potts, G. Hunter, RH. (1996)
- University of Liverpool RDF - £4500 for "Rock textures and earth processes: studies using the SEM as a crystallographic tool" with Wheeler, J., Prior, D, Reddy, S Potts, GJ. (1997)
- University of Liverpool RPG - £49,974 for Chemical Microanalysis Equipment with Wheeler, J., Prior, D, Reddy, S Potts, GJ. (1997)
- Organising Committee of 'Formation and Metamorphism of Massive Sulphides' Symposium, Trondheim, Norway - £350 to support attendance at symposium (1997).
- NERC JREI - £150,000 for "A new SEM configuration for quantitative tracking of microstructural changes during high temperature experiments" with Prior, D, Wheeler, J., Cheadle, M.J., Kelley, S., Pond. (1999-2001)
- NERC facilities grant - £17,500 to investigate controls on colloform development using combined EBSD and in situ S-isotope studies (with Craig Barrie and Adrian Boyce)
Pedagogical Research Grants:
- UK Earth Science TLTP Consortium - £25,033 for development of courseware modules (1993-4).
- University of Liverpool L & T Fund - 4 grants totalling £27,200 (1995, 2000, 2002).
- HEFCE Fund for the Development of Teaching and Learning - £199,649 for "Development, evaluation and dissemination of a computer-based assessment system for testing learning outcomes" (1996-99) with £29,919 continuation funding (1999-2000).
- LTSN-GEES - £8500 for "Field work is good. The student view." with Sarah Maguire (Ulster) and others (2001-2002)
- JISC - £22,646 for "Secure Email Pilot Project" with Chris Wooff, Alan Thew, Dave Tyson (CSD) (2001-2002)
- EU ERDF The Learning Place with CONNECT, Dr Colin Charlton, Prof Terry Russell (CRIPSAT) and others. Funding approved February 2001 at £800,000 to provide proof of concept for technical delivery of materials via interactive digital television. Follow-up bid to run from Easter 2003 funded at £2,400,000, my role being as an e-assessment consultant working with Terry Russell and postgraduate research assistants.
- LTSN-GEES - £4,500 for "Geoscience writing/communication project" with Simeon Yates and Noel Williams of Sheffield hallam University.
- TQEF - £22,000 to investigate the use of Studio Teaching to improve student understanding of structural geology with Graham Potts and Maggie Williams(2006-8)
- BP plc - £21,422 to investigate the use of video microscopes to enhance collaborative learning in mineralogy. (2007-8)